Clown (2014)

The world is pretty hard on for clown movies, right? I remember how excited people were  getting for this on horror websites back when Eli Roth's involvement was announced, and then I swear I didn't hear a single thing about it until it popped up on to my Netflix feed recently. I think it only really released to VOD last year, to add to all of the clown movies the world can't get enough of. Man - so many clown horror movies. I know clowns are freaky, but they're not that freaky.

Clown is about a Normal Horror Movie Dad who finds a clown costume for his son's birthday party and then finds himself unable to take it off but rather possessed by the demon of the costume that has a specific hunger for children. 

I wish I had something interesting to say about this movie, but it was pretty generic. Peter Stormare was a bright spot as someone who had gone through the demon clown experience before, because he's never afraid to ham it up. Other than that, I found that the movie moved a bit too slowly and was too hesitant to have fun with its own outlandish premise. If you're going to hinge your plot on the repeated eating of children, go wild with it. There was one scene with a bully that had a satisfying pay off in terms of the whole kid killing thing, but everything else was all dark and dull and kind of monotonous. It tried to be oddly serious, which felt incongruous with the subject matter.

The opening is far and away the best part, as the hapless father figures out his own situation and cannot seem to get his costume off. I wish the rest of the movie had kept up that level of off-kilter absurdity amongst a very grounded world. I liked the refusal to believe that this costume was just...not coming off. That's a weird concept, and one I could get into as being genuinely creepy.

Rating: 3/10 - Clown didn't do it for me, and it could have. It could have gone balls to the wall wild, but for some reason, it had the cinematography and pacing of a wannabe David Fincher movie, and it was not a winning combo. It had some okay bits, and it was well made, and I liked the beginning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bye Bye Man (2017)

The Love Witch (2016)

Ginger Snaps (2000)