Ghost Ship (2002)

If you haven't watched Ghost Ship, it might be a surprise when I tell you that Ghost Ship is a surprisingly good Ghosts-on-a-Boat movie. The opening scene of Ghost Ship is one of my favourite opening horror scenes of all time, and there's a reason it's so deeply beloved online. Turns out there's more to the movie than that!
It came as a surprise to me when I first watched Ghost Ship that a movie called Ghost Ship could strike the near-perfect balance between being ridiculous and unnerving. From that spectacular opening scene to the next-level nonsensical murder madness is splashed throughout the film in a way that is hard not to enjoy. There were times when I found myself feeling genuinely jumpy because the atmosphere was so eerie. Put a murder mystery on a boat and stick in some ghosts and a whodunnit element and I'm all in, all the way.
The cast also knocked it out of the park - Julianna Margulies was great, and it’s always nice seeing Emily Browning in things, even as a tiny child. I know that this movie has a lot of mythos surrounding its evolution in the filmmaking process - the original script had no supernatural elements, for example. It sounds like the exact kind of thing I’d be here for - all psychological horror, sans supernatural, people stranded at sea turning against each other - but at the expense of that amazing, out-of-this-world flashback murder montage? Never.
Rating: 8.5/10. Unabashedly. It’s silly and there’s ghosts and the whole plot twist wasn’t much of a twist, but it’s such a fun movie, and really accessible. I can see this being easy to watch with people regardless of their interest in horror.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bye Bye Man (2017)

The Love Witch (2016)

Ginger Snaps (2000)