Trespass (2011)

Man, what? What was this movie? 
You look at the cast list for this movie and it’s like someone was playing mad libs. Nicole Kidman, who I am notoriously unable to lose in most roles, and Nicolas Cage, who is Nicolas Cage, play an unhappily married couple who are subject to a home invasion that grows increasingly more by-the-numbers as it goes. Because this is a Nicolas Cage movie, everyone is constantly trying to outdo each other in this ridiculousness stakes, and the performances are out of this world.
Cam Gigandet, who you may remember from once being a part of a bad guy crew in a Twilight movie or as the STD guy from Easy A, is clearly supposed to be playing a dramatic role but everything involving his character is unintentionally hilarious. Nic Cage is at Next level Cage for most of the movie (pun clearly intended). There are parts of it where the thieves are demanding entry to the safe, and his responses border non-sequitur in their delivery. I've watched it twice now and it was every bit as hilarious the second time.
Nothing about the actual plotting or construction/production of this movie really warrants comment or review; the only things that make it a memorable movie experience are the performances, and in this case, that’s not a great thing. I will say that I noticed how well it kept me engrossed, mostly due to those performances. On first watch, I was ambivalent, but on the second I realised just how few slow moments there are. It's not a movie I found myself checking the time during, that's for sure.
Rating: 2.5/10 - I guess I have to give it some merit because at least it like…made sense and had a coherent plot, which is more than I can say for a lot of things I watch. It'll keep you interested, for better or for worse.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bye Bye Man (2017)

Ginger Snaps (2000)

The Love Witch (2016)