Watching the Watcher - About This Blog

I've been writing blogs in one form or another for nearly as long as I've been on the internet, which is to say: I've been writing blogs for far too long. They've not always been formal, but at some point in my more journal-esque blogging, movie reviews became a thing I started doing. 

I love movies, and I always have a lot of feelings about them. Often the movies I watch - because I largely watch garbage - aren't highly reviewed films. Trying to find the internet's thoughts on, say, the 2010 Australian horror movie Needle was a real struggle when I watched it in 2015. My take on the movies I watch aren't particularly unique, but I like to process things through writing. I like to tackle the things that I'm inevitably focusing on during a movie - its treatment of LGBT+ characters, how it plays into patriachal constructs in the film industry, how many times the person I watched it with was in complete tears - and the way I do that has always been in a very literal written fashion.

I'm going to start focusing on giving all of my 2015-2017 reviews a home here while continuing to review the new things I watch. I want to make it so everything has a home and is convenient to browse. I don't know why anyone would want to browse it. Maybe you're really curious as to how my Year of Watching All of Nicolas Cage's Movies is going (that's my current side project). Maybe you really want to know which of the avalanche of dinner party thrillers that came out in the late 00s/early 10s ended up tickling my fancy. Maybe you're curious as to why I can't bring myself to give movies 1/10 - spoiler alert, it's because Ouija Experiment 2: Theatre of Death broke the scale. I might go back and do some updating on how time has updated my thoughts on some earlier movies I've reviewed, because time changes everything. I might also add in some movies that I have watched this year but not for the first time - I might have watched Knowing back in 2007, but I feel like it's a crucial piece missing from your understanding of just how my Year of Nicolas Cage is going. 

There are other things I'd like to have a platform to write about. In the long bouts of time where I can't garner the enthusiasm to trudge through trashy horror movies, I need a zone where I can write extensive academic commentary on the thirteenth season of The Bachelorette and the handling of race with reflection on the long, long history of ABC's Bachelor/Bachelorette juggernaut (in which I am possibly a scholar at this point).  I want to write about the podcasts that I've somehow wasted every bus ride for three weeks listening to! I want a venue I can recommend books about octopuses on. This will be that hub for me, for that little hobby that no one else cares about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bye Bye Man (2017)

Ginger Snaps (2000)

The Love Witch (2016)